Video Game Memorabilia Museum Forums

THE Best Online Community for video game merchandise and memorabilia!
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:10 pm 
Memorabilia Museum Curator

Mr.Mad wrote:
also what is sun damage ive never heard of it how does the sun harm paint?

Prolonged exposure to the sun will fade the paint on just about anything. Have you ever been to a video store with windows? Inevitably the movies closest to the window will look very faded, like someone pulled all the saturation out of the picture. It effects posters and things first and quickly, but figures can lose color over time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:23 pm 

More tidbits:
Collection care
All sorts of great tips

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:35 am 
The Mario Completist

Favorite Game/Series: Mario
That second site seems cool, I'm not going to look through it all today because it's getting late, but it looks like it covers the basics for toy collecting.

"Wow. You may end up running this site. LOOK at all of that! I think you have more than me these days smb! And look at all the hung cases. Brilliant! Man, you earned your rank!" -Nightram on my collection

See my Mario collection at The HORDE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:51 am 
VG Tattoo Collector [MOD]

Favorite Game/Series: The Legend of Zelda
That second page has a lot of good tips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:03 pm 
Formerly Known as JD
Formerly Known as JD

xdarnokx wrote:
That second page has a lot of good tips.

QFT. Thanks, Night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:45 pm 

Nightram wrote:
All sorts of great tips

Hey, I said it first! Heh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:47 pm 
Formerly Known as JD
Formerly Known as JD

Nightram wrote:
Nightram wrote:
All sorts of great tips

Hey, I said it first! Heh.

:roll: :P QFOT (Quoted for Original Truth) Heh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:51 pm 

:Poochy: :P

Post subject: Stain removal?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:43 pm 
General of the Plush Army

Favorite Game/Series: Super Mario Bros. 3
This past weekend I've been thinking a lot about my collection of t-shirts and hats and the like and what to do with the stuff that's in less-than-perfect condition.

Actually, most of my game t-shirts are more a part of my personal wardrobe rather than collectibles (wearing them is the best way for me to "display" them, so I don't really see any point in a bunch of t-shirts going unworn and unseen in my closet), so I see a good bit of fading, cracking, minor holes, and other regular wear and tear that comes with wearing and washing clothes over the years. But that's not really my concern here.

A few of my older items, as well as a lot of the stuff I've come across on eBay seem to be plauged by mysterious stains. I hate stains. Really hate them. And I can never quite figure out how to get rid of them, if it's even possible.

While talking to my mom on the phone yesterday, I found out about the untimely fate of my beloved Link to the Past t-shirt (from the Nintendo Power Supplies Catalog) that I've been searching for. It seems that it was the victim of a flooded laundry room, and had gotten moldy and had to be thrown away. *sniff* I'm hoping that some of my other shirts can be saved...

I've got a couple of t-shirts that I bought on eBay that I wish I could wear, but stains prevent me from doing so. The most recent of these is a Sonic & Tails t-shirt that I got from Japan (featuring Sonic 2 era artwork, so it's probably rather old). The stains are small and rust-colored and are all over the freaking place. It's a grey t-shirt, so bleach won't help. The stains are probably already too old and set to remove, but does anyone have any suggestions before I give up on it? If I can't get them out, it doesn't do me much good as a shirt, and I'm thinking about cutting out the picture area and converting it into a little throw pillow or something. I'd rather be able to wear it, but, well... stains are icky!

I've got another project I've been working on as well. I've had this StarFox baseball cap that's been floating around my house for almost 15 years now. I think it's recently been unearthed from my brother's closet, and it looks like it's got hard water stains on it or something. It's also generally yellowed with age (the hat is white with a blue bill and embroidery on the front and back). Yesterday I tried hand washing it with an old toothbrush, some laundry detergent, and a bit of diluted bleach. After scrubbing it as much as I could, I let it sit for a few hours in a tub of water and Oxi Clean. I left it out to dry this morning, so I guess we'll see if there are any improvements when I get home from work tonight.

Does anyone else have any clothing-related stories to share? Any recommendations for clothing care or stain removal?

--SoulDreamX's HORDE Collection--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:49 pm 

Try Shout. It's the best way I know of to get rid of such stains. You just blot some one using one of their various methods (I've noticed that the bottle that you rub goo on with little bristles at the tip seems to work the best because you work it into the stain).
Do the load per normal, dry, and see if it came out.

As for stories, I bought a LoZOoT promo shirt off Ebay once. I went to wash it before I wore it for the first time, and it got torn to pieces in the washer. I still don't know if it was my fault or if it was just a really cheap shirt, but my mom didn't know what had happened either. Luckily I hadn't spent that much, but still.
A lot of my other gaming shirts have shrunk in the laundry and now can't be worn (that or I got too fat . . . but when I can't wear a large it typically means it shrunk). So, I'm wondering if I slim down if I can wear them, or if they are just too short no matter how fit I get. I suppose we'll see after Wii Fit. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:25 pm 

Thanks for the tip. :)

Which OoT promo shirt was it? The black one with the gold and white image of Link that EB was giving out, or another one? That's pretty crazy.

As for shrinkage, I generally just wash all of my shirts in cold water, and I rarely have a problem with that now. Washing them in hot or warm water seems to encourage the shrinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:21 pm 

Yeah, I do all cold too.
Anyway, the shirt just had the logo on it on the left breast. No biggie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:39 pm 
The Mario Completist

Favorite Game/Series: Mario
SoulDreamX wrote:
Actually, most of my game t-shirts are more a part of my personal wardrobe rather than collectibles (wearing them is the best way for me to "display" them, so I don't really see any point in a bunch of t-shirts going unworn and unseen in my closet)

I put my T-shirts in hollowed out box frames. It shows them well and is relatively inexpensive. For bigger patterns, I get a 16X20 inch frame and for smaller patterns I get 11X14 inch frame. The only problem is the folds it creates on the sides, but that's better then the fading, shrinking, tearing, staining, ect. you can get from wearing them.

"Wow. You may end up running this site. LOOK at all of that! I think you have more than me these days smb! And look at all the hung cases. Brilliant! Man, you earned your rank!" -Nightram on my collection

See my Mario collection at The HORDE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:34 pm 

smb collector wrote:
SoulDreamX wrote:
Actually, most of my game t-shirts are more a part of my personal wardrobe rather than collectibles (wearing them is the best way for me to "display" them, so I don't really see any point in a bunch of t-shirts going unworn and unseen in my closet)

I put my T-shirts in hollowed out box frames. It shows them well and is relatively inexpensive. For bigger patterns, I get a 16X20 inch frame and for smaller patterns I get 11X14 inch frame. The only problem is the folds it creates on the sides, but that's better then the fading, shrinking, tearing, staining, ect. you can get from wearing them.

That's true, and I know they also make t-shirt displays that stores use and stuff. It's just that I personally wouldn't have anywhere to display them (I ran out of wall space a long, long time ago...), and well... I like wearing them. ^_^;; I admit, though, that there are a few that I have that I don't really wear because I'm afraid of messing up (mostly white ones). But even some of the shirts I've never worn before have ended up getting damaged somehow. :\ The best thing I can think to do these days is to take pictures before I start to wear something so that I'll at least have that visual record of it in case anything happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:53 pm 
Formerly Known as JD
Formerly Known as JD

(From another topic - jd-83)

djb1986 wrote:
Wow, I store my stuff the same way. But what is lifting? Is it where the figure starts to come off the card due to gravity?

Basically. “Lifting” is when the edges of the bubble begin to separate up, or “lift,” from the cardbacking. This can sometimes happen naturally, even during careful preservation, when the glue holding the bubble to the cardbacking slowly begins to dissipate and lose its tack, often as a result of entropy caused by old age, but this process can be easily sped-up by standing a figure upright, causing a downward pull on the bubble out and away from the cardbacking due to the weight of the figure (i.e. gravity). If good glue is used, however, and the figure is kept lying on its back, lifting may not be an issue for many many years, but from my understanding, it is the ultimate fate of all things in the universe, material or otherwise (see second law of thermodynamics). The challenge is to keep it from happening for as long as possible so that future generations might have the chance to experience something in its natural “in-tact” state.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:09 am 
Gaming like it's 1991

Favorite Game/Series: SMRPG, DKC, OOT
I guess most could say I am quite careless with my collection. All my stuff sits there around my room. It's on shelves on walls, bookcases, my dvd player, racks, the tv, you name it. I don't think I've ever dusted anything because mostly what I have are opened figures and plushes. Some of my stuff like small figures are full of dust. I should really take better care of them but I don't dust my plushes. I don't have much mint in box stuff but I am getting some soon and I'll make sure to take good care of those. I don't have much that I payed hundreds for so my items getting a bit of sunlight or getting covered with dust isn't a big issue. I just love having lots of swag. :doglaugh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:05 pm 

Thats why all my carded SW figs are stored flat in star cases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:51 pm 
[MOD] from 1986
[MOD] from 1986

Favorite Game/Series: Mario 3
xdarnokx wrote:
Thats why all my carded SW figs are stored flat in star cases.
Are those the old toys?

DJB1986's Horde!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:08 pm 

the oldest are power of the force from the 90s

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:38 am 
Formerly Known as JD
Formerly Known as JD

jd-83 wrote:
Tips for getting rid of sticker residue from plastic bubbles, wrappers, windows, etc.:

1. Cover the residue in creamy peanut butter (I know, it sounds crazy, but trust me on this one guys...).

2. Work it into the residue by rubbing it in small circles with your fingers.

3. After the peanut butter has been thoroughly worked, let it set for about a half an hour or so, so that the natural oils have time to break down the residue.

4. Next, take some toilet tissue or a paper towel and gently begin wiping off the peanut butter; the residue should come off with it. If there is still some residue on the surface, then repeat steps 1 - 4 until it's all gone.

THINGS TO REMEMBER:

1. Be gentle, plastic bubbles and such are generally pretty fragile things, and can easily buckle under the pressure of excessive force.

2. Do not attempt this procedure on anything but plastic! Peanut butter contains powerful natural oils, and can leave some really nasty stains on things like card-backings and such.

NOTE: There are many other products capable of achieving a similar result (pretty much anything that's oily), but I prefer peanut butter because it's much easier to control than other, more fluid alternatives.

I'm not sure what made me think of this post today, but I just wanted to say that I no longer advocate removing price stickers, or modifying a packaged item in any other way.

I once did this to a packaged figure a long time ago (but which I no longer have), and while it looked fine, I feel that had I had that figure today, I would have felt that I had in some way subtracted from its intrinsic, historical value.

Case in point, for any of you who have seen pics of my Deku Link figure have more than likely noticed the price sticker smack-dab on the front of the bubble that says $12.99. Well, I love that sticker. Because, it's so entertaining to me that such a rare and valuable item could have at one point in time been so cheap and accessible. It puts that figure into a whole nother light, and possibly even makes some of us wonder about how far the Legend of Zelda series has come for such things as these to be able to demand the prices they do today on places like eBay.

Anyway, all I'm saying is, that if you're a MOC/MIP collector like me, don't remove those stickers! Try to look at them as just another component of the packaging itself; you may just learn to appreciate their value later on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next